Monday, November 5, 2007

Reflections

Meditate on the events of quarter one. How did you do in this class? What did you learn? Which of your academic skills improved? Where are you still struggling? How is the class environment? What can you do to further strengthen the learning community in our classroom? What are your goals for Q2? Basically, how did things go for you and what can you do to improve or to make things more successful for yourself and others?

Quarter one... I think I did alright considering that it was such a tough quarter! Last year's enriched Language Arts was a cake walk compared to what this year is turning out to be. The transition at the beginning was pretty tough but I think I'm falling into more of a routine- but it still is incredibly hard. I learned a lot about MLA citations and I really think I've learned how to write a more solid thesis. I think my writing overall has improved, especially my analytical writing. I used to dread having to write an analysis paper, but now I'm learning how to manage it better. I'm still definitely struggling with it however, and it's really hard for me to do in class essays or have to write any type of thesis piece on a short deadline. I think that this class has definitely improved my writing however, because I'm finding it easier to do writing pieces in other classes- like AP Euro. I think our class environment is pretty positive, and I've met a lot of new people which is always fun. To further strengthen the learning community in our classroom I just think our class needs to work on always listening to one another and we all should continue to learn from each others' mistakes. My goals for quarter 2 are to work on my time management a little more, better my ability to write a strong thesis, and to be more involved in discussions during class.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I totally agree with the last year 'cake walk' experience! Even though it's been hard at first we have all learned a lot, especially about how to write a thesis and MLA format like you said. Listening to each other is a good idea. Nice Work!

Natalie said...

I agree with your statement that you learned how to write a better thesis statement, because that's exactly what we all learned to do better. I also like your goal about getting more involved in class discussions. I'm going to work on that also.
Whoop.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I agree with what you said about last year being a "cake walk" compared to this year. Also how you said the transition was tough, but you got through it. I feel as well as you that the first quarter helped us with our thesis statements and essays. Good reflection.

Ms. Froehlich said...

It's great that you feel more confident in your analytical writing. After this research paper, you'll be a master!

Bcarp said...

First of all i like the comparison to a "cake walk" in your response, however I would have to disagree because it is in fact very challenging to win one of those darn things... Anyways I think time management is also a thing we can all work on, just to make our lives less stressful. I as well have seen improvements in my writing in AP World, which by the way, there is a lot of.