Sunday, October 7, 2007

Memoirs- Why? Third BB Post

Why do people write memoirs?
What power is there in telling our own stories?

I think people write memoirs for entertainment and to share stories that they believe others should read. Memoirs can shed new light on certain subjects (i.e. racism in Black Boy) and can give the readers a whole new view on things. In Black Boy, Richard Wright's point of view and completely different life story give readers a whole new look on racism in the south and the struggles for an average African American Boy. For example, one struggle that Richard has is one I will never in my life have to deal with, "'What the hell,' Harrison said. 'They look at you and laugh at you ever day, nigger.' It was true. But I hated him for saying it. I ached to hit him in his mouth, to hurt him" (Wright 241). People write memoirs to show readers their side of the story.
There is great power in telling our own stories. Telling our own stories means we can show readers exactly how we saw it. Telling our own stories allows us to use our own voice and own descriptions to enhance the story. Richard Wright is a great example of this, he uses powerful descriptions to tell his story, "There was the disdain that filled me as I tortured a delicate, blue-pink craw fish that huddled fearfully in the mud sill of a rusty tin can" (Wright 8). Our own stories are often deeply personal and have effected us so greatly that when we share it to others, they can feel the same things that we have felt. Memoirs are powerful because the author can tell their story, and even enhance it, to entertain and perhaps teach a lesson to readers.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I completely agree. When we share our own stories and make them personal others can get a taste of what it must have felt like being in our shoes. I think that when we share experiences it creates a bond between us because we have both shared a little part of ourselves with the other.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I enjoyed your post, also you are one of the only people that has given in-text citations, so nice job. Also I like how you said that people write memoirs, because we can give our own details, and our own voice, which I think is a great reason. Nice post.